Kricket Stomp
Welcome or welcome back to Kricket Stomp! Don't forget to log-in or sign up!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kricket Stomp
Welcome or welcome back to Kricket Stomp! Don't forget to log-in or sign up!
Kricket Stomp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goodbye Nintendo, Part 1?

+3
Starlight
Donth8
Adminassassin
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Goodbye Nintendo, Part 1? Empty Goodbye Nintendo, Part 1?

Post  Adminassassin Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:04 pm

I'm done with seeing my Wii collect dust. I sent the following letter to NoA. Will it get a response? I doubt it, but my questions will be answered anyway by NoA's future actions. And depending on them, I may be through with them.

"Dear Nintendo of America staff,
I waited in line for a Wii on Day One and enjoyed it for several years. Unfortunately it seemed that titles have started to dry up. First we didn't get Fatal Frame IV, The Last Story and Disaster: Day of Crisis. Okay, I wanted those games but I understand that you are a business and have to carefully consider what to release to make a profit. Now we sit in 2011, with only one big title in the horizon (without a release date): Zelda. And I suppose that's all well and good, but where is Xenoblades, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower? These are big, important titles, first or second-party, that have or are coming out in other territories but not here, and E3 has come and gone. It's to be expected that a console gets less games as its successor approaches, but the Wii U is likely over a year, perhaps 18 months away.

I hate to say it, but if you are no longer going to support the Wii, then neither am I. And I am unlikely to support Nintendo products down the line, whether it be the 3DS or the Wii U. I have been online and looked at various sites and know I am not alone in this sentiment.

Thank you in advance from your response."

Depending on what happens, I may sell my Wii and quite possibly won't get the Wii U or the 3DS.
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

http://www.backloggery.com/objection

Back to top Go down

Goodbye Nintendo, Part 1? Empty Re: Goodbye Nintendo, Part 1?

Post  Donth8 Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm also starting to feel this way. The only reason I'm still hanging on to mine is because of the Virtual Console service. The recent release of Chrono Trigger and Mega Man X got me playing the console again for a bit but I know it won't last long.

I might sell it and get a PS3. Who knows. cat
Donth8
Donth8
Kricket Elder
Kricket Elder

http://backloggery.com/donth8theplaya

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:46 am

Donth8 wrote:

I would totally recommend that at this point. PS3 has a strong library, including those in the future and does not currently have a successor on the way that is clouding its manufacturer's ability to support it. I would do this^ if I didn't already have one.
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Starlight Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:40 pm

Donth8 wrote:I'm also starting to feel this way. The only reason I'm still hanging on to mine is because of the Virtual Console service. The recent release of Chrono Trigger and Mega Man X got me playing the console again for a bit but I know it won't last long.

I've not really ever been a Nintendo fan but I love the VC service from the Wii.

Anyway, have you guys heard of Operation Rainfall?

Basically, nearly every American Nintendo Fan are going to write an E-Mail/Letter/pre-order about the games release and stuff...and I am going to support it too....not because I want these games (even when I can get them here), but it will open a floodgate for almost ANY niche/cult game not released worldwide and if Nintendo can crack, so can Namco, Capcom, SEGA etc....and if Nintendo DO crack and release it in America...then that means we pretty much can do it with any game that we think deserves to be released.

So yeah, support the cause guys as it's not just American fans who'll benefit from this demand for a niche game/s, it'll also benefit Europe and Oceania as well. bounce

P.S: Don't lose hope guys...Nintendo are what you expect them to be and they won't change for anyone...which is why they are so successful.
Starlight
Starlight
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:15 pm

I have heard of Operation, this letter was the first step in my involvement. Thank you for your involvement, I hope everyone on KS considers helping!
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:32 pm

I feel like the only one who enjoys the Wii right now Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:41 am

Got the following response, more personalized than I expected:
"Hello,
Thanks for contacting us. I can see why you want to see games like Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, or The Last Story released here in the Americas, but at this time we have no new information to offer or announcements to make regarding these games.
I realize this is disappointing, but your comments have been documented and made available for other departments here to use as they see fit. We appreciate hearing what our consumers find important.
Sincerely,

_____ ____
Nintendo of America Inc."
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ninty Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:57 am

You know Admin, my last dream was about me selling my Wii to get a PS3. lol

Honestly, I'm perfectly fine with the Wii the way it is. I'm still missing some awesome games, but hey, it's not a huge loss for me. Razz
Ninty
Ninty
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Nintendo confirmed today they have "no plans to release" these three titles "at this time." Aka, they're not unless they randomly decide to.
You know what, Nintendo? Piss off, I think I'm done with you. Expect to see a thread called "Part 2" soon.
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:51 pm

I saw that today, as well as the response from Operation Rainfall. They seem more determined than ever now and I applaud them. This whole campaign strangely reminds me of the whole protest movement going around the world, the gamers Arab Spring.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:28 pm

Apparently, Europe is confirmed to get all 3 titles now and they're all gonna be shown off at this French expo (Can't remember the name of it). That american Wii I got is looking to be more of a waste of money at this point but nevermind

Back to top Go down

Post  Starlight Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:06 pm

The Wii should be region free...the other two are....
Starlight
Starlight
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:05 am

Wait, the Xbox 360 is region free? Question

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentine Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:37 am

I haven't said anything yet, but I will add my two cents now, I think. This isn't entirely related to the aforementioned games so much as my thoughts on Nintendo lately.

First of all, I won't abandon a console for not having a few titles though I quite understand the disappointment. My Fatal Frame friends have been riding the same disappointment with Nintendo for awhile in their decision to not release IV in N. America or Europe. I'm not exactly sure what led them to such a conclusion, but this seems to be very common with Nintendo in not bringing over games/sequels that have cult interest or previous cult followings.

Which brings me to my second point, if their reasoning is that the games will not be that popular in N. America and that cult following won't be enough, how does the market become so saturated with third party shovelware? God knows we need Barbie's Horseback Riding 3.

Lastly, as I said, I won't abandon a console for not sending over a few interesting games our way, but it is tempting to abandon a console that's been riding solely on something like sheer fan service now and minimal third party titles. Their big name titles are honestly boring me to tears. They have shitty stories, they lack the innovation to make up for it, they're repetitive, and for what games aren't developed/published by Nintendo: they seem to get only the scraps of good series that mostly reside on other consoles (i.e. Resident Evil Chronicles, Silent Hill: SM - Sorry, they just aren't that good).
Valentine
Valentine
Kricket Regular
Kricket Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:29 pm

Good points, Val.
I think for me, its first that theyre 3 games I would have likely gotten; second, that there is next to nothing else for the Wii at this point (the next Kirby and Zelda don't interest me at all and seem like rehashes) and third, that this has been a long line of such incidents. Just looking at the DS and Wii, I could easily name a dozen big (as in first or second party) wii exclusives that didn't make it over.

So what are we left with? Well, in my case, I don't know. I'll prolly chicken out of selling it outright any time soon, but I have no plans to support any of Nintendo's three (Wii, Wii U, 3DS) at this point, and the only one I might reneg on later is the handheld.
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:57 pm

I wish I could sell my wii for a PS3 Sad
I had to open the wii up to fix it myself instead of sending it back to nintendo for $80 >Neutral
I hate the damn thing.

Anybody have any good ideas on how I go about selling it?

@Terra, the 360 is not region free. The only one I know of is the PSP.
Tony
Tony
Kricket Elder
Kricket Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Tony wrote:I wish I could sell my wii for a PS3 Sad

Anybody have any good ideas on how I go about selling it?
eBay isn't that hard, and if not that, then Amazon.
You could see about selling it to friends then.
Last resort is game stores and the like, because they will rip you off.
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  soaring_wings Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:07 pm

Terra wrote:Wait, the Xbox 360 is region free? Question
From what I hear, the console itself is region-free but the DVDs can be locked and most Japanese 360 games are locked. However, there are a few Cave shooters that are not locked because Cave has recognized a western demand. Most US and European 360 games are not region locked from what I hear.

@Valentine: That's my stance exactly. Even if I'm peeved off at a certain game company, and I am here, I won't sell the console or abandon it. Probably partly due to my collector mentality and also because I think it's silly to boycott games for the system to spite some company (and I've got a number of games to still finish... >//////<). If I like the game, I'll buy it. Right now I am seriously considering modding the Wii and getting the EURO versions of those games if NoA really doesn't bring them over. I'll probably wait till it's a "dead" system just to be on the safe side and not accidentily brink it via a firmware update. >//////<

Although I do understand not buying future products from said company. That is very much reasonable. So far, I haven't gotten to the point where my sheer hatred of Nintendo has made me detest the company. Quite the opposite actually. I still very much love the company, just I dislike NoA. I'm also only now getting into a lot of their core franchises so I'm looking forward to most of their games. I'm ashamed to say I still haven't played a Kirby game but I have wanted to. I think the only game I'm meh about is Rhythm Heaven and that's because I simply cannot play rhythm games at all. I am so very horrible at them.

Valentine wrote:
Which brings me to my second point, if their reasoning is that the games will not be that popular in N. America and that cult following won't be enough, how does the market become so saturated with third party shovelware? God knows we need Barbie's Horseback Riding 3.

This is actually not as puzzling as it seems since Nintendo gets licensing fees for each of the software that gets published and they aren't the ones who are taking risks since they aren't the publishers. So it's pretty much understandable, from a business point of view, why they would keep licensing these sort of games and really any sort of game. That and I'm sure if they started being more selective, it would drive more third parties away from them. After all, it's Ubisoft that's publishing most of this crap and they are a juggernaut that perhaps Nintendo does not want to upset in case of future fruitful relationships.

@Terra: You're not alone. I'm pretty happy with my Wii too. I've got a good amount of games on it and I'm willing to mod to get a few Europe-only gems as well. :3
soaring_wings
soaring_wings
Kricket Elder
Kricket Elder

http://backloggery.com/soaring_wings

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentine Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:52 am

Admin, on your second point, I'd like to reiterate that sentiment by saying... That's exactly how I feel. XD That's sort of where I'm going with saying these big title games are getting repetitive or being churned out as mere fan service. Mario is not exciting anymore. FF games on the Wii range from garbage to mediocre at best. Etc.

soaring, agreed. As consumers, we're better off petitioning. As for selling a product, I'll simply hurt the consumer, as games and their accessories tend to depreciate in value. I quite agree that not buying new products is far more convenient. I wanna say that I won't bother to buy a 3DS or Wii U on the basis that their library doesn't interest me enough to drop hundreds of dollars. I would very much like for them to not port over Skyward Sword and call that the Wii U Zelda as they did with TP. That sucked.

Also, yes. I'm sure it would vastly hurt Nintendo if they drove away such third party game makers. They'd be forced to make legitimately good games that sell. What else would Nintendo thrive on as a massive library? They'd almost have to start licensing good games like Sony and Microsoft seem to be doing.
Valentine
Valentine
Kricket Regular
Kricket Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Starlight Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:18 am

soaring_wings wrote:Right now I am seriously considering modding the Wii and getting the EURO versions of those games if NoA really doesn't bring them over.

What!?! You didn't know you were moving when you said this!?!

Anyways...seems like you won't have to now (unless you brought over your US/CAN consoles over).

That kind of sucks....unless someone is willing to give you their EU Wii. :3

I think Britain are on the verge of boycotting News Corps media since there seems to be leaks about phone hacking....so I can, up to a point...understand Nintendo fans threatening action if they don't get the games...but at least they haven't hacked into your details or a deceased relative like some media outlets have recently done.

I would recommend importing....and I know it sucks since it means more effort on your part, but think of it as an exotic experience rather then a domestic one....I certainly am going to feel like this when I get the game (I caved in after an offer at ASDA), since it will be very unique as an RPG.
Starlight
Starlight
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:17 pm

Starlight wrote: I would recommend importing....and I know it sucks since it means more effort on your part, but think of it as an exotic experience rather then a domestic one....I certainly am going to feel like this when I get the game (I caved in after an offer at ASDA), since it will be very unique as an RPG.
If the Wii was region-free, I would happily import a copy and be done with it.
As it is, I either have to buy another console I'm not please with or illegally hack mine to make it play EU. Not sure, which I'm less fond of, lol.
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:18 pm

@Soaring - It's ridiculous that you should even have to mod to be able to play these games though. We had a decent solution to the problem (Freeloader) but then they decided to block it, which was absolute BS. *Sigh* I dunno...

Back to top Go down

Post  Starlight Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:01 pm

Adminassassin wrote:
Starlight wrote: I would recommend importing....and I know it sucks since it means more effort on your part, but think of it as an exotic experience rather then a domestic one....I certainly am going to feel like this when I get the game (I caved in after an offer at ASDA), since it will be very unique as an RPG.
If the Wii was region-free, I would happily import a copy and be done with it.
As it is, I either have to buy another console I'm not please with or illegally hack mine to make it play EU. Not sure, which I'm less fond of, lol.

I guess that's what made me do the importing thread. XD

But yeah....it's ridiculous how the Wii ISN'T Region Locked.
Starlight
Starlight
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:17 pm

youre confusing me. Are you implying that the Wii is region-free? Cuz I'm pretty sure it's locked.
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:33 am

Adminassassin wrote:youre confusing me. Are you implying that the Wii is region-free? Cuz I'm pretty sure it's locked.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_Nintendo_Wii_Region-Locked

^There ya go.

I also found AnyRegionChanger, but it seems like trouble. google search it if you're desperate. I tried, and I got results, but it didn't make me want to. Considering that the wii's lineup of games is crap anyways.
Tony
Tony
Kricket Elder
Kricket Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next