Kricket Stomp
Welcome or welcome back to Kricket Stomp! Don't forget to log-in or sign up!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kricket Stomp
Welcome or welcome back to Kricket Stomp! Don't forget to log-in or sign up!
Kricket Stomp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blizzard to display real names on forum

3 posters

Go down

Blizzard to display real names on forum Empty Blizzard to display real names on forum

Post  Valentine Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:51 pm

http://kotaku.com/5580585/blizzard-forums-will-soon-display-your-real-name

Apparently, this has already started taking place through the "realID" lists, etc. But according to this, all posts done on Blizzard's forums will no longer display screen names, but they will display the actual name you give upon signing up.

Personally, I think they're sacrificing privacy to deal with a few trolls, and I don't think it's a great approach. As someone whose had an e-stalker of sorts, I'm really hesitant about displaying my actual name as it tells two things I don't tend to reveal on mass websites: my gender (feminine first name) and my surname which is rare and distinct.

Yay or nay?
Valentine
Valentine
Kricket Regular
Kricket Regular

Back to top Go down

Blizzard to display real names on forum Empty Re: Blizzard to display real names on forum

Post  Donth8 Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:07 am

Nay. Are the trolls really bothering them that much?

Hopefully this won't become a standard for all forums.

Last edited by Donth8 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)
Donth8
Donth8
Kricket Elder
Kricket Elder

http://backloggery.com/donth8theplaya

Back to top Go down

Blizzard to display real names on forum Empty Re: Blizzard to display real names on forum

Post  Valentine Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:54 pm

Evidently, there are a lot of butthurt users on WoW. I doubt real*fake* names are going to do anything but excite the /b/tards.
Valentine
Valentine
Kricket Regular
Kricket Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:07 pm

I actually feel like this violates an Internet Privacy Law but maybe thats just wishful thinking. I think it's a horrible idea. Besides, if I don't know John Doe, is that gonna stop me from being a d*** to him anymore than if he was John123?
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

http://www.backloggery.com/objection

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentine Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:26 pm

I think the idea is that if your real name is online, your personal reputation would be at stake. Everything you've ever said and done on the internet under your name is a mouse click away for anyone to research. What I think would happen is the reverse of what they intended. Example: If you pissed me off, I'm looking up your Facebook, your Xanga, your phone number, your email, and anything else I feel like posting on 4chan. That's just stalker galore for any kind of weirdo.

BUT! That's beside the real point now! I have more news!

http://kotaku.com/5583405/blizzard-scraps-plans-to-display-real-names-in-forums

Blizzard scraps plans to display real names in forums!
Valentine
Valentine
Kricket Regular
Kricket Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:12 am

Well...um...there we go. Good....
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

http://www.backloggery.com/objection

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Last edited by Terra on Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentine Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:46 pm

I'm amused at how fast this came and went. The issue caused such a huge uproar about how this would only further enable stalkers and trolls (I wasn't serious about my example. I wouldn't do that, but I know people who would). I'm glad to see this die so soon. I would never intentionally post with my real name like that for fear of /b/tards and stalkers.

I don't know that Internet privacy is something very well upheld. It's nearly impossible to have total anonymity on the internet these days. My biggest dislike are places like MySpace and Facebook. I've become a complete not-fan of being photographed, because people ignore that little thing called consent before uploading your image to their website. :S
Valentine
Valentine
Kricket Regular
Kricket Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down