Kricket Stomp
Welcome or welcome back to Kricket Stomp! Don't forget to log-in or sign up!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kricket Stomp
Welcome or welcome back to Kricket Stomp! Don't forget to log-in or sign up!
Kricket Stomp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shades of Grey

Go down

Shades of Grey Empty Shades of Grey

Post  Starlight Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:51 pm

Me and Terra read it (I recommended it to him), and I think we found it a great book to read. Razz

I was recommended it by a work colleague who was a bookworm...and yeah...it's the only book I've read from start to finish without becoming bored.

Anyways, the author himself is really good at dystopian (apocalyptic kind of) stories...but he's known for his Thursday next series...which is about a woman who can go into books to do things and there's a spin off of that called the Nursary Crimes (I think), which focuses on two Detectives from her universe.

Shades of Grey, however...is his latest book which I have fell in Love with.

I won't spoil the story but I will tell you the details on what has happened to the World.

Basically, it's based in the UK (People think in Wales), where our civilization has collapsed and everyone's eyesight has regressed so each person can only see one colour, which are the building blocks of our "Rich vs Poor" system. Greys (black and white seeing people), are basically slaves...whilst the Purple seeing people are the most privileged...and depending on how much of that colour they see...can go even higher in the ranks.

Everyone's Surname is based on a particular colour they can see (which is their peak usually), but depending on a colour seeing test, (known as the Ishihara...I think) your name can be changed instantaneously and you are forever known to be given a certain type of job.

Anyways, we follow a guy who can only see Red (known as Eddie Russett) who's being punished by going to a Town called East Carmine...where he falls in love with a Grey called Jane (the sad part is that they can not show this in public since mixing with Greys or opposing colours is forbidden), but the Grey has other ideas of overthrowing the system. As you read the book, you get a better idea of how this world works and the people in it.

Everyone follows "The Rules", which sound very made up when you read it, since things like owning a spoon is better then money, and everyone has "Credits" , in which you earn from doing good deeds, and are reduced if you are naughty...too many negative credits take you to "Reboot", where you are taken to "Become Enlightened", but it's a very sinister place...

People also get off on Drugs from other "Universal Colours", which make even Grey's feel loosened up and stuff....depending on the colour, some are used for pain killers whilst others are used for recreational...the one you will see often spoke about is Lime...which makes most (except Green seeing people), feel very light headed and stuff...but Lincoln is what they call the "Strong Stuff", which can kill them if exposed for too long.

So yeah....read the book people!

[flash(425,350)]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVs4TTLsx3s&feature=related[flash]
Starlight
Starlight
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

Shades of Grey Empty Re: Shades of Grey

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:30 pm

I read it after Starlight's recommendations awhile ago and I agree that it's a great book. I recently ordered the first book of Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series as well, he's a great author.

Back to top Go down

Post  Starlight Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:03 pm

Terra wrote:I read it after Starlight's recommendations awhile ago and I agree that it's a great book. I recently ordered the first book of Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series as well, he's a great author.

Please tell me how it goes for you. Razz
Starlight
Starlight
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:04 am

I will do

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content