Kricket Stomp
Welcome or welcome back to Kricket Stomp! Don't forget to log-in or sign up!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kricket Stomp
Welcome or welcome back to Kricket Stomp! Don't forget to log-in or sign up!
Kricket Stomp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Football (Soccer) League

2 posters

Go down

European Football (Soccer) League Empty European Football (Soccer) League

Post  Starlight Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:17 pm

Worth a try here anyways.

Basically, they are tornaments to see who is the best team in Europe (normally tiered as well).

Champions League are usually Winners from their own leagues (and the runner-up in most countries) whilst the Europa League is usually to Tornament Winners from each Country (Knockout Tornament Cups basically).

This year England have 4 Teams in the Former and 3 in the latter (because we are first in the UEFA points system that determines how strong your league is...Premier League = Billions of Revenue basically).

They are:

Manchester United (BOO!)
Manchester City (YAY!)
Chelsea
Arsenal

However, Arsenal have to win a Peliminary Round to join the other three whilst the three are in the "Group" Stages".

The same happens with Europa League...however....a team can play up to 4 peliminaries before even being considered in the proper competition.

This year: Tottenham Hotspur (Came 5th in the League) and Birmingham City (Won a Knockout Cup despite being relegated) only need to play one game to go though, whilst Stoke (Runners Up to another Knockout Cup (Since England have two as well as France), since the Winners of the Cup, which was Man City, have already qualified to the higher competition) have to play 2 matches.

Now...usually the top countries only have 3 teams...but...a 4th place is available because Fulham (another team from England) qualified through the "Fair Play" league (which means they have had good sporting behaviour), but since they technically didn't finish high nor win or come runners up to a cup, they have to play the maxinum number of matches before qualifying...now...Fulham almost won it in 2008 through this way so it'll be interesting to see how they progress.

Anyway, that's the whole explaination out of the way, now for the teams.

Man United have a good reputation in the Champions League since they almost won it yet again (Barcalona were just too good...) so no explaination there.

Man City are a newcomer to the competition since it's the first time in their history they are in (despite winning another cup which has since been abolished called the Cup Winners Cup (Basically a KO Tourney from Europe's Winners or Runners up) and me being a City fan I want them to win it.

Chelsea are another veteren who have almost won it in 2008 but lost against...guess who? Man United (a first for two English Teams to make the final together). So they'll try and win it again this year.

Arsenal are the usual try hard in the early stages and get knocked out by either a bullying team tectically (Chelsea) or a team that is quicker and more skillful (Barcalona)...so again, I don't expect them to win...or even qualify since they face Bayern Munich (a german side used to winning their own league and beating Man U in 2010).

Now for the more interesting Teams at the other end:

Stoke City, very old fashioned in the way they play...and truelly an example of how the English used to play, I can see them winning it since they will take many EU teams by surprise.

Birmingham City, I think they won't take it seriously...they won a cup but got relegated...so their priority is getting promotion again. Usually...Liverpool are the ones to make it here lately as well as their rivals Everton...but who knows?

Tottenham Hotspur, don't let these guys fool you, they were in the CL this year and came to the Quarter Finals! They may win it but are so inconsistant in all their matches.

Fulham, they are a good side but losing their manager (who rarely lost but took away many draws...like he did at City) will effect them...I hope they try and win it this year.
Starlight
Starlight
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

European Football (Soccer) League Empty Re: European Football (Soccer) League

Post  Adminassassin Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:01 pm

I don't know much about any of this, but I'll pull for the same team as you.
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

http://www.backloggery.com/objection

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:34 pm

Last edited by Terra on Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Starlight Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:22 am

Adminassassin wrote:I don't know much about any of this, but I'll pull for the same team as you.

Thanks. Smile

Yes Terra...FIFA are a joke these days but yet our own FA are not that good either...can't the Premier League just pull us out? We generate enough money to not give it to those swine.
Starlight
Starlight
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:01 am

I have no idea really when it comes to the FA, football politics are not a strong point for me outside what the media shows (Like the Giggs affairs)

Back to top Go down

Post  Starlight Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:58 pm

Terra wrote:I have no idea really when it comes to the FA, football politics are not a strong point for me outside what the media shows (Like the Giggs affairs)

Basically, no-one takes our FA seriously because they are hypocrites about things....they'll let Clubs go Bankrupt and stuff but if they can't get what they want they shout foul....FIFA at least are consistently incompetent.
Starlight
Starlight
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum