Kricket Stomp
Welcome or welcome back to Kricket Stomp! Don't forget to log-in or sign up!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kricket Stomp
Welcome or welcome back to Kricket Stomp! Don't forget to log-in or sign up!
Kricket Stomp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anime Recommendations

4 posters

Go down

Anime Recommendations Empty Anime Recommendations

Post  soaring_wings Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:41 pm

Just like the description says, this thread is for posting anime series you think are worthwhile and recommend others try. Giving a mini review, or synopsis is also a good idea since not everyone likes the same genres.

Soaring Wings Recommends:

Juuni Kokuki
episodes: 45
genres: fantasy, adventure, fictitious historical drama.
Synopsis:
Yoko is your average girl: quiet and studious. However, a strange man shows up claiming allegiance to her as strange demon-like creatures attack her school. Yoko is then transported into a different world and separated from the man and two other classmates. As she travels through this new world, she begins to piece together who the strange man was and what he wanted from her.
Other Things:
-While the premise sounds like something made for girls, it actually has very little romance and is more action oriented. I think most people will enjoy this anime unless they need romance to enjoy a show.
-It's incomplete sadly. The story ends prematurely.
-It's based on a series of Japanese novels of the same name.
-While Yoko is the protagonist, there are two other arcs that focus on different characters.

Princess Tutu
episodes: 38
genres: fantasy, shoujo, romance, magical girl, fractured fairy tale
Synopsis:
Ahiru wants to dance ballet with Mytho, her prince, more than anything but she is extremely clumsy. However, things are not as they appear and Ahiru is actually a duck in reality. Given the power to be human and to become the legendary Princess Tutu by Drosselmayer, Ahiru promised to locate Mytho's hidden peices of heart and bring back his smile. But it seems like everyone, except Ahiru, would have Mytho remind as lifeless doll.
Other Things:
-Again it sounds simple, but the story becomes really beautiful and sad. I really recommend giving this one a try unless you hate romance.
-The music is awesome, which isn't surprising given they use ballet pieces.

Konjiki no Gash Bell!!
episodes: 150
genres: action, shounen, supernatural, comedy
Synopsis:
Kiyomaro is a genius with no friends, but that all changes when a strange boy, Gash Bell, crashes into his life. Gash was sent to Kiyomaro by his father in England and it seems Gash cannot remember anything except his name. Turns out Gash is really a demon child sent to Earth to participate in the Demon King Tournament. Each demon child must find a human partner who shall read incantations for the demon child to cast and fight in battles. Losers have their books burnt and must return to the Demon world. Kiyomaro becomes Gash's partner and through their fights and everyday life, Kiyomaro slowly becomes a better person and makes friends with others.
Other Things:
-It sounds cheesy, and to a certain degree it is, but I thought for a shounen fighter series, this one was definitely one of the better ones.
-Lots of comic moments that really make this series much more enjoyable.
-It looses a bit of steam after a certain arc, but it's still really interesting.

more to come later Smile
soaring_wings
soaring_wings
Kricket Elder
Kricket Elder

http://backloggery.com/soaring_wings

Back to top Go down

Anime Recommendations Empty Re: Anime Recommendations

Post  Super Smash Bros. Fan Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:38 pm

I highly, highly recommend Yu Yu Hakusho.

There are 112 episode, a decent amount that should last you for awhile.

Story: Yusuke Urameshi comes from an relatively poor family and struggles among the family. Her mother raised her all alone, having given birth to him at age fifteen. Yusuke is an delinquient, a person who acts before thinking, is very violent, and doesn't do well in school. He also hates his life. One day, he was killed in an accident trying to save the boy and it caught he spirit world by surprise. In order to return to life, Yusuke must get a someone to kiss him, which he succeed at after a few episodes. After that, he was granted the title of Spirit Detective, a person who was responsible for stopping crime commited by demons, people possess by demons, and people with demonic thoughts. He is granted numerous power and takes on many missions to save the world. Along him joins Kazuma Kuwabara, Hiei, and Kurama.

Why I recommend it: It has an excellent fight scenes during the course of the anime, great musics, deep characters, beautiful visuals, not to mention it never gets repeative.

Where to find it: www.youtube.com/user/TehAnimatedGamer

He uploaded the entire english season of Yu Yu Hakusho. This is a guy to watch.
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:50 pm

Code Geass
episodes: 52ish
genres: action, mech, scifi, war, comedy
Synopsis: One of the best animes I've ever seen. The first season ends with a big cliffhanger, and second season (R2) is a little odd and slow at first, with some stupid stuff around episode 2-20, but overall the series is epic, involving, and emotional. Some surprising and tragic deaths abound.
For ages: 13 and up (VLSN)

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (Kei)
episodes: 52ish
genre: comedy, horror, scifi, mature
Synopsis: Brutal murder. The culprit is revealed...but wait, that's just the first story arc, rewind! Higurashi and its second season Kei explore the strange town of Hinamizawa as slowly its dark past and tormenting present and future are explained, one rewind and complete retelling (but with more explanation) at a time.
For ages: 16 and up (GV, L)
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

http://www.backloggery.com/objection

Back to top Go down

Post  soaring_wings Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:15 pm

@Super Smash bros. Fan: I'll have to check out Yu Yu Hakusho. I read the first chapter of the manga and it seemed a little silly to me, but I'm glad to hear it's more than the main character being dead and coming back to life. Spirit detective sounds interesting and if the fights are awesome, all the better! Very Happy I'll add it to my list of stuff that needs to be watched!

@Adminassassin: I watched the first season of Geass. I kind of felt the ending was kind of randomly crazy (you know his power triggering at that exact moment...). Still a good show, and I am planning on watching the second season eventually.

I agree with Higurashi. I recommend it as well. Season one had a lot of WTF moments! Season two was probably the best since you actually understood what was going on half the time (but then again, that was part of season one's charm :3 ). Season three was pretty good as well, but probably the weakest of the three.

New Recommendation:
Escaflowne
episodes: 26
genres: fantasy, adventure, romance
Synopsis:
On the day Hitomi decides to try and beat her track record and confess her love if she does, a strange boy and a dragon appears in front of her as she races. Unwillingly she gets transported back with him to his world, Gaea, where the Earth hangs in the sky next to the moon. The strange boy turns out to be a Prince and his country is soon invaded by the Zaibach empire. Hitomi finds herself helping him fight enemies with her strange power as the two of them try to escape Zaibach's soldiers and try to find comrades to help them.
Other Things:
-This was the show that really got me into anime. I remember watching it religious every evening on YTV (think Canadian cartoon network).
-Great plot, fights, and romance. It has everything.
-I might be a bit biased since this was one of the first anime I watched, but I seriously love it.
-Has a really powerful ending, imo.
-Great music. Done by Yoko Kanno of Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell fame. Mind you, the music is really different, it's orchestral.
soaring_wings
soaring_wings
Kricket Elder
Kricket Elder

http://backloggery.com/soaring_wings

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:24 pm

Oh awesome, I love Yoko Konno's work!

AFRO SAMURAI
episodes: 5
genre: samurai, action, revenge, mature
Synopsis: The No.1 Headband...everybody wants it. But you have to have the No.2 headband to challenge the man on top. So begins an endless cycle of violence after these headbands, which only continues when Afro's father (the old No.1) is killed by Justice...and then swears vengeance on him. Dub stars Samuel L. Jackson (Pulp Fiction), Ron Perlman (Hellboy) and Lucy Liu (Kill Bill). Sequel (Resurrection) is decent but can't top the first.
For ages: 18 and up (GV, L, S, D, N) Based on Director's Cut
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:50 pm

Last edited by Truner on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  kowwmann Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:50 pm

Axis Powers Hetalia
52 eps (i think)
just fyi these are like < 10 min each
makes fun of history (based around italy)

Rurouni Kenshin
bout a samurai who has given up on killing
romantic comedy
94 (ish) eps

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
26 eps
sci-fi action

(i'm too lazy to write a synopsis)

Last edited by kowwmann on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
kowwmann
kowwmann
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

http://www.backloggery.com/main.php?user=kowwmann

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:45 am

kowwmann wrote:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
26 eps
sci-fi action

(i'm too lazy to write a synopsis)
GITS: SAC has 2 seasons, for a total of 52 episodes. I recommend both seasons, as well as both feature length movies and the thrid movie that takes place after the 2nd season. I do not recommend the two compilation films (each editting a season down to a 2-3 hr movie) because the editting is meh and the voice cast is different and weaker.
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down