Kricket Stomp
Welcome or welcome back to Kricket Stomp! Don't forget to log-in or sign up!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Kricket Stomp
Welcome or welcome back to Kricket Stomp! Don't forget to log-in or sign up!
Kricket Stomp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Threads Deletion Poll

+3
Valentine
Tony
Adminassassin
7 posters

Go down

Should old/non-active threads be deleted? Why or why not

Old Threads Deletion Poll I_vote_lcap9%Old Threads Deletion Poll I_vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]
Old Threads Deletion Poll I_vote_lcap18%Old Threads Deletion Poll I_vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
Old Threads Deletion Poll I_vote_lcap55%Old Threads Deletion Poll I_vote_rcap 55% 
[ 6 ]
Old Threads Deletion Poll I_vote_lcap18%Old Threads Deletion Poll I_vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 11

Poll closed

Old Threads Deletion Poll Empty Old Threads Deletion Poll

Post  Adminassassin Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:03 am

5 days, ending June 15th
please vote, thanks
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

http://www.backloggery.com/objection

Back to top Go down

Old Threads Deletion Poll Empty Re: Old Threads Deletion Poll

Post  Tony Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:50 am

I voted for that we may use them at some point.
You never know Wink
Tony
Tony
Kricket Elder
Kricket Elder

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentine Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:09 pm

My opinion is that I think efficiency of communication is more important than wanton nostalgia, myself. If you really want to resurrect a dead topic to reuse it (think how often this really happens), and it turns out it's been deleted, then it's safe to say a new topic could be warranted for any reason that would become applicable in such a scenario; however, it's probably safe to say that nobody is really going to use "E3 2010" anymore.

This may not seem entirely related, but I think there should be less threads on a forum page. Anything after the most recent 10 or 15 threads should carry over to a different page. I know that's a miniscule detail but here's how I think it's relevant to the topic: ATM, KS isn't that busy of a message board to necessitate the amount of dead topics you see, but if you want to keep the topic for nostalgic purposes or because you honestly think "E3 2010" will come in handy one day, then at least it'll have been rolled over to a page that isn't current. It just makes the forums look cleaner and more concise for aesthetic quality. And! If you still wanna implement the deletion idea, you can delete any topic that rolls over to, say, page 5 (or whatever) as an easy indication as to what's officially dead.
Valentine
Valentine
Kricket Regular
Kricket Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Starlight Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:51 pm

I voted an hour ago for option 3.
Starlight
Starlight
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ninty Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:20 pm

You can Kill the Past if you really want to, Admin. Although I have been feeling nostalgic recently and read through lots of those topics.
Ninty
Ninty
Kricket Frequenter
Kricket Frequenter

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:23 pm

Valentine wrote:
This may not seem entirely related, but I think there should be less threads on a forum page. Anything after the most recent 10 or 15 threads should carry over to a different page. I know that's a miniscule detail but here's how I think it's relevant to the topic: ATM, KS isn't that busy of a message board to necessitate the amount of dead topics you see, but if you want to keep the topic for nostalgic purposes or because you honestly think "E3 2010" will come in handy one day, then at least it'll have been rolled over to a page that isn't current. It just makes the forums look cleaner and more concise for aesthetic quality. And! If you still wanna implement the deletion idea, you can delete any topic that rolls over to, say, page 5 (or whatever) as an easy indication as to what's officially dead.

Thanks for the feedback. I am not aware of this currently being an option, but if it is, I will most certainly look at implementing it.

Edit: Also, to clarify, "dead/inactive topics" would be stuff that died in 2010 or so (9 months to a year old.) I'm mostly looking at things started by members no longer active or failed threads (few posts, or lots of post with no substance, including some Forum Games ones, since they just take up space.)

Last edited by Adminassassin on Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : see "edit")
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  soaring_wings Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:00 pm

I voted for "No...we may need the eventually" but I think some topics can go, like E3 2010 or ones about certain things happening in the world/news that aren't really talked about any more. I think general discussion ones like GBA discussion thread or what was your first console should stay because new users can always reply to them and old users don't have to reply again and again to the same new topic (if KS ever gets more traffic). Basically my stance is if it's a general discussion topic or one that new users can reply to add their two cents, it should stay. Ones that are more time specific like the E3 2010 or the game threads should be removed because I don't see anyone ever using them or if one wants to play those games, it's best to start afresh. Hope that makes sense. ^w^
soaring_wings
soaring_wings
Kricket Elder
Kricket Elder

http://backloggery.com/soaring_wings

Back to top Go down

Post  Kendaichi Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Being honest, and I don't really think I have much of a say in this because I'm a new member, but I voted for yes. Mainly because I found that the amount of threads and the overall atmosphere for this board was a little off putting - when I first joined, that is.

For the older members of this board here, I can easily understand that most of them would want the old threads to stay, as it holds many memories - nostalgia is a pretty great feeling. I feel this way with other forums I go to.

Although, are there any other options that could happen? Such as a new place for the old threads to go, a partial clean of some few threads, or perhaps even start new?

This board needs to come across as active, the amount of 2011 posts/threads compared to the posts and threads made in 2010 will probably make newcomers feel as though this board is inactive. It may drive them off. I felt this way.

Well, I'm just blabbing really. I'm absolutely fine with any choice that is made, and I wish this forum well!

If you need any help, then I'd try my best.
Kendaichi
Kendaichi
Kricket Noobie
Kricket Noobie

Back to top Go down

Post  Adminassassin Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:23 pm

Kendaichi, thanks for the input. I am 99% sure I have the means to take old threads and move them somewhere else, such as a "graveyard," that way we keep them but they aren't everywhere, making the forum look old or inactive as you put it. If anyone sees this, let me know if you would change your vote to such an option and I'll do my best. Thanks.

EDIT: Let me clarify that a "graveyard" might/would still be a "dead thread" place and so they might be closed and moved there, but un-replyable, since if they qualified to be moved there, they weren't seeing any action, and I don't want people reviving threads just for the sake of reviving them. (Also, small or unsuccessful threads not worth preserving might just be deleted anyway.)
Adminassassin
Adminassassin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentine Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:45 am

I actually like the concept of a thread graveyard. I know forums that at least do it for the forum games, because those might be fun to refer back to at some point.
Valentine
Valentine
Kricket Regular
Kricket Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  soaring_wings Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:05 pm

Adminassassin wrote:Kendaichi, thanks for the input. I am 99% sure I have the means to take old threads and move them somewhere else, such as a "graveyard," that way we keep them but they aren't everywhere, making the forum look old or inactive as you put it. If anyone sees this, let me know if you would change your vote to such an option and I'll do my best. Thanks.

EDIT: Let me clarify that a "graveyard" might/would still be a "dead thread" place and so they might be closed and moved there, but un-replyable, since if they qualified to be moved there, they weren't seeing any action, and I don't want people reviving threads just for the sake of reviving them. (Also, small or unsuccessful threads not worth preserving might just be deleted anyway.)

I think it's a good compromise. I certainly like reviving old threads (bad habit of mine, I think xD ) but I understand where Ken is coming from and I do think it would be best for KS to look more active, so yes I am in favour of this graveyard. =)
soaring_wings
soaring_wings
Kricket Elder
Kricket Elder

http://backloggery.com/soaring_wings

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down